Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Get out and vote

It’s official. I stink. For the first time in at least five years I haven’t voted. Today, I suck.

I woke up this morning and felt terrible, so I blew off a college chemistry class and slept in. I got up, and started heading to work, realizing about half way there that I should have stopped at my local precinct and voted. I work late today, so my only hope is to get home before the precinct closes. I hope I can do that, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Don’t follow my example. I work 40 miles from my local precinct, so I can’t just hurry and run home to do it. Get out and vote. The Iraqi people came out in droves for their first vote. We should be old hands at this. It should be second nature.

Go vote.

1 comment:

mrkhmusic said...

Well, ya know, I'd love to feel guilty about not voting in municipal elections, but I have a couple of stories.

1--I tried to find info on the positions and beliefs of the candidates for mayor and city council in my home town. Nuthin. I looked for individual candidate websites... Nuthin. All I know is the names on the signs, and to me, that's not enough to go on.

2--A few years ago, I decided I was going to make sure that I voted in our city elections. That time I managed to get some info on the candidates, and made a reasonable decision, even though the info I had was sketchy at best. I went to the usual polling place, and... ? Nuthin. No polls, no booths, no workers. The secretary at the school had no idea where it was supposed to be.

So, I feel much less guilty!