Friday, August 06, 2010

Return of the American Whiner

Hey everyone! It's been a long time, hasn't it? Sorry about that. Of course, it's been so long I'm probably just talking to my computer. Or rather typing to it. I doubt very many of my original readers will be finding this post anytime soon.

Of course, that's never been anything different, has it? Bloggers really aren't “talking” to people. They're writing stuff and hoping people will read it. Just like I am right now. It's kind of twisted if you think about it.

After two years of silence on the socio-political front, I've decided to come back. Part of it is that I find myself in a position to start kibitzing about the current local and national socio-political scene again.  For a long time I've simply not had the time or energy to publicly vent my spleen. My life situation has changed a bit now so, I should be able to write again.

The other reason I'm back is that I'm not sure how much longer I can keep silent. I'm seeing a lot of really stupid things going on in the world. I'm seeing as many threats to what I consider the “American way of life,” and the U.S. Constitution coming from within our own government as we've seen foreign terrorists threaten us from without. I don't think there's some huge conspiracy behind everything that's going on, mind you. I just think that we're entering a perfect storm of events and legislation that could undermine our way of life and freedoms.

How do people threaten the Constitution without changing it? By passing laws that ignore or undermine it's original intent. Remember, laws are only as effective as the people who are in charge of enforcing them. If the people in power choose to ignore them, and we as American citizens allow them to by continuing to vote for them, it doesn't matter what's written down. Only governments and political leaders that are held to the standards of the law by the people they govern will act in accordance with those laws. If we let the law be twisted or ignored by our own government, either through inaction or silence, we will be as guilty as they are.

The time to be silent if over. The time for action is now.

No comments: